Unearth The Voyage & Ignite Your Inner Wanderlust
- How do you incorporate sustainable / culturally conscious travel into your travels? How do you prepare? Can you give us some tips?
- Share one of your favorite travel stories. How do these type of experiences change you as a person?
- What are your top 5 travel rules that you follow every time you travel and why?
- Research before you go. Find out what the local customs are, which areas of town to avoid, scams to look out for etc. Knowledge is power and nowadays there is SO MUCH knowledge out there.
- Bring a second debit card/credit card. One might not work and having that back up is a lifesaver.
- Don’t pet the street dogs. I know, I know! They are so cute! Until you get bit… not so cute anymore.
- Only eat where the locals are eating. No locals = most likely not so great food. If you eat street food, find the stalls where all the locals are going; that way you can be almost 100% sure you wont be up all night on the toilet.
- Live like a local. If the locals take the bus, take the bus. If the locals eat noodles, eat noodles. Obviously they know their country best. Doing what they do will give you the best representation of their country.
- What are your top 5 travel hacking tips and tricks? (Anything from navigating a city to booking flights and accommodations)
- Always search for flights in incognito mode on your web browser. If you don’t, cookies left behind will make the prices go up the next time you search the same flight.
- Take a picture of the front of your accommodation- that way if you get lost, you can show the picture to a taxi driver and they will probably know where it is.
- Download a map on your phone that works offline and use it for getting around but also for tracking where a taxi is taking you. In a lot of countries taxi drivers will take the long way for the extra mileage and if they see you using a map they might be less likely to do that.
- Learn a few phrases in the local language- even if you butcher saying it, the effort is usually much appreciated!
- Scan copies of all your important documents and keep them on the cloud or in your Google drive- that way if the worst happens you can print the scanned copies to help you get new documents.
- What are your top 5 travel things you must bring in your carry on, purse and/or satchel?
- Stomach medicine… you just never know when you might need some.
- Baby wipes- after a long day or flight its so refreshing to be able to wipe off the grime with some wipes!
- Of course all the electronics; phone, camera, chargers, kindle, computer etc.
- A change of clothes just in case your luggage doesn’t make it there or you still have a long journey ahead to your final destination.
- The comfort kit- noise canceling headphones, eye mask, neck pillow, earplugs etc.
- What is your most prized souvenir you brought back from abroad and what’s its story?
- Where are you off to next and what are hoping to experience, eat, see and/or learn?
- I want to thank Ron & Jess for taking the time to talk to me here in the Departure Lounge! Be sure to follow Unearth The Voyage on Social Media:
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you purchase a product, I may earn a commission. This commission comes at no extra cost to you. Please remember that I never recommend a product just for the commission — I only recommend something I genuinely believe in, trust and/or use personally. The small income I make here will help in maintaining this blog. Thanks for your support!