The Unbreakable Kimmie Davies Walks Aboot
So why is Kimmie so unbreakable? Well, it’s because she is so damn flexible. In fact, she is a gymnast, an elite gymnast for about 90% of her life while the other 10% she was learning to walk and travel.
Ok fellas calm down…we are here to talk about travel…sheesh.
I first met Kim at another one of my Travel Massive, Toronto chapter meetups. This one, held in the chichi Brassaii cocktail bar/restaurant in Toronto’s King West, was all about Montreal and came with all you can eat poutine! Whaaa!!! Kimmie’s a lot of fun and with my other travel blogging friend Kevin from The Wandering
- Share one of your favourite travel stories. How do these type of experiences change you as a person?
One of my
Handstand at Chichen Itza, Mexico
- What are your top 5 travel rules that you follow every time you travel and why?
- What are your top 3 travel hacking tips and tricks?
What are your top 5 travel things you must bring in your carry-on, purse and/or satchel?
- My most important carry-on item is actually slippers! I don’t know about you, but my feet get REALLY cold while flying or riding the bus. I always bring a pair of warm slippers so I can be comfortable whilst on the move.
- As I am a media kind of girl, my second must have is my electronics. I take all of my electronics with me in my carry-on bag. This means iPod, iPad, computer, and cameras. I really love to listen to music as a way to pass the time. Oh…and a pair of comfortable headphones is key.
- So an obvious #3 would be charging cords and extra batteries. God forbid I lose power in my iPod while traveling, I might as well roll off the bus as far as I am concerned. So an extra battery charge is important.
- Lately, I have been into taking pens and a sketch pad onto the plane. Having the opportunity to sketch can really pass the time! I guess things of importance to me are primarily comfort and entertainment.
- Finally #5 is definitely an extra sweatshirt. Yes, this takes up the room but as I stated above, I do not like to be cold while traveling! It hinders my ability to relax and to even sleep. So I always bring an extra layer to wear when I am cold, and if I am not cold, I roll it up and it doubles as a pillow so I can sleep easier. It’s all about warmth, comfort, and sleep.
• What is your most prized souvenir you brought back from abroad and what’s its story?
Ok well, this is a little strange, but my most prized possession is a tiny little Icon of a Condor which I purchased at the witches market in La Paz, Bolivia. Its purpose according to the ‘witches’ in the market is to bring good luck in travel to its holder. It is significant to me because I purchased the icon on the very first day, in the very first place, on the very first morning I arrived in South America and began what I consider my life adventure as a traveler, rather than as a tourist. To this day my little icon remains in my pocket wherever I travel. I guess it has become a good luck charm, as well as a fond memory to smile upon.
• Where are you off to next and what are hoping to experience, eat, see and/or learn?
My next trip is actually taking me to Guatemala! I am super excited for this as it always seems to be a clear favourite amongst traveler’s drifting through Central America. It will also mean I have explored a little of every country on the continent!
I am hoping to experience the famous ruins of Tikal, the colonial town of Antigua and to enjoy a couple volcano hikes.
Perhaps fit in a jungle rave at Zephyr Lodge as well as a swim in Semuc Champey. I am also looking forward to practicing my Spanish, and enjoying some solid Central American Pico de Gallo!
- Awesome, chatting with you Kimmie. I totally look forward to reading more of your wilderness travels and perhaps doing a little local blogging here in Toronto!
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you purchase a product, I may earn a commission. This commission comes at no extra cost to you. Please remember that I never recommend a product just for the commission — I only recommend something I genuinely believe in, trust and/or use personally. The small income I make here will help in maintaining this blog. Thanks for your support!